Historic Cattle Ranch & Hunting Land For Sale in Belvidere, KS
For the first time in 33 years and possibly the last time ever, the Soldier Creek Ranch in southeast Kiowa County, Kansas is being offered for sale. This 395 acre ranch has a very rich history as outlined in the attached Soldier Creek Ranch History document. This ranch is an oasis that lies between the historic Robbins Ranch (formerly The Rockefeller Ranch) to the north and the world famous Hashknife Ranch to the south. With a history going back to before 1868, when the property was a part of the Osage Indian Trust Land, this ranch has always been a very special place.
With the beautiful, crystal clear Soldier Creek running most of the length of the ranch, another spring fed creek at the east side of the land, two windmills and five water wells, reliable water is never a problem. The ranch rests in the Red Hills region which is the second largest intact piece of native prairie in Kansas. The Gypsum Hills, as they are also called, is a mixed prairie with a combination of both tall and short species of grasses on which cattle, horses and wildlife thrive. Regardless of the weather, at least one of the types of grasses will flourish. This Red Hills area was believed to provide medicinal properties with the mineral rich water from the Medicine River.
Below are some of the amazing features of this property:
Historic Home: 5 Bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 2,881 SF of living space.
The original “Salt Box” style 2 story bunk house was built in 1890 when it was part of the historic Frank Rockefeller – Soldier Creek Park Ranch. It was first remodeled in 1927 and 1928. The last remodeling of the home was completed in 2009 when the one story “Ranch” style portion of the home was added to double the size of the home at a cost of about $250,000. This is a very energy efficient, well insulated home.
Main Floor: 2,015 SF of living space.
- Large enclosed front porch area – entryway.
- Great room with gas fire place and cathedral ceilings.
- Very large kitchen with new custom built – extra deep cabinets. The kitchen features easy close drawers, wider counter tops, center island and breakfast bar. It also includes the antique blue wood burning cook stove which is still operational.
- Music Room – Dining Room with gas fireplace.
- Office – Study with gas fireplace.
- Very large enclosed back porch area with laundry room, basement access and bright sun lit areas.
- Extra-large master bedroom with walk-in closets, firearm storage and secure storage.
- Large bathroom with double sinks, Kansas Onyx counter top, tall toilet and beautifully tiled large walk-in shower with seating area.
Second Floor: 866 SF of living space.
- Beautiful wooden stair case.
- Landing area with extra storage.
- Four spacious bedrooms and reading areas.
- Half bath with newer fixtures.
- Whole house attic fan.
- Beautifully cut stone foundation with concrete perimeter seating area and concrete floor in the partial basement.
- Extra storage for canned goods and other items.
- Reverse osmosis system and water softener.
North Shop Building: Built new in 2005, 30’ x 50’ = 1,500 SF, concrete floor, insulated, 220 volt service & breaker box, work benches & shelving, interior partition with sliding door to separate garage area from workshop area which has heater. Two overhead garage doors with electric openers and one walk-in door. Connected to the home via concrete sidewalk and has concrete parking area across the front of the building.
South Shop Building: Built new in 2011, 30’ x 32’ = 960 SF, concrete floor, 220 volt service & breaker box, work benches & shelving. Three overhead garage doors with two electric openers and one walk-in door. Two of the garage doors are aligned to allow vehicles to pass through to an underground shop area behind this building. Connected to the home via concrete sidewalk and has concrete parking area across the front of the building.
Earth Sheltered Shop Building: Located to the west – behind the south shop building and used for additional storage and protection of items before the shop buildings were built.
Chicken House: Located to the south of south shop building. Has been used to raise chickens. Now used for storage.
Hunter’s Cabin: Located north of the main house along the west bank of Soldier Creek. 12’ x 16’ = 192 SF. Also includes deck area, bunk beds, wood stove and area for dining. This is a private setting that provides easy access to hunting areas located towards the north area of the ranch.
Pastures, Cattle Handling Equipment and Hunting Resources:
The land is divided into six pastures and hay meadow areas to help maintain grazing rotation in each well fenced fenced cell. The land has been managed for wildlife for many years with just one or occasionally two deer allowed to be taken each season. This area of the Red Hills is well known for trophy deer and turkey hunting. Click on the highlighted text below to view detailed maps of each portion of the ranch.
Northwest Pasture: 90 Acres with water from Soldier Creek and if needed windmill and well towards the northeast corner. Includes great cover for deer, turkey and quail hunting. Also includes the Hunter’s Cabin and the location for a nice creek bottom pond area just north of the home. Grove of trees and high bluffs are favorite holding areas for deer. Would make a great location for feed plots in the bottom area.
South Meadow: 18 Acres with water from electric well and stock tank just south of the ranch house. Well has some of the best water on the ranch. Has been used for harvesting hay and for horses in the past.
South Pasture: 87 Acres with water from Soldier Creek, electric well and stock tanks towards the east side. Neighbor to south built a newer high fence along the east, south and west sides of this pasture. There is a stock pile of thousands of railroad ties and several bridge pilings for fencing and other purposes. Owners also built concrete feeding area with feed bunks towards the northeast corner of this pasture.
Pen Area: 20 Acres with water from Soldier Creek. Includes catch pens, handling pens and a squeeze chute at the northwest corner near the ranch house and entry lane for the property. Good cover for deer hunting and cottonwood trees for turkey roosting areas.
East Meadow: 80 Acres with water from Soldier Creek along the west side of this cell. Has been used for haying purposes in the past. Owner built metal feed bunks for use in feeding cattle, located on west side of the field. Great timbered creek bottom area and open strutting areas for deer and turkey hunting.
East Pasture: 100 Acres with water from spring fed creek and if needed windmill and well located near the east side of the pasture. This area of the property is great for isolated deer, turkey and quail hunting.
Terrain: The property consists of rolling hills with elevation changes from 1,780’ in the lower areas to over 1,860’ elevation on the hill tops and ridges. Click here to view a topo map of the land. The creek bottom areas and wooded hillsides contain a nice blend of smaller trees for cover for abundant Whitetail Deer and scattered large cottonwood trees used as roosting trees for Rio Grande Turkeys. The grassland areas and thickets are home to Bob White Quail. The ranch rests in the famous Unit 16 wildlife management area. This area is well known for trophy deer hunting.
Income: This property has been generating between $12,000 to $13,000 per year in rental income.
Property Tax: Property taxes on this ranch are $1,000 per year.
- Pasture lease: There is a pasture lease in place for 2020 with a long-term rancher that would like to continue to lease the land from the new owners. He has taken good care of the property for many years. He is a good steward for the land.
- Hunting Lease: There is no hunting lease in place for 2020, so the new owner will have hunting rights or can lease them to others as they wish.
Mineral Rights: Seller is believed to have 100% of mineral rights and they will transfer to the buyer with a full price offer. There are no active oil, gas or wind leases in place at this time.
- Electrical: Electrical service is provided by Southern Pioneer Electric.
- Propane: Propane is provided by Wilmore Propane LLC. There is a 1000 gallon owned tank located for easy filling.
- Cell Service: Verizon wireless service works well at the ranch.
- Internet: Current broadband Internet service is through the Haviland Telephone Company.
Schools: School children can be picked up by a bus at the ranch.
- Elementary school children generally attend the USD 474 – Haviland Grade School.
- High school students may attend the new USD-422 Kiowa County School in Greensburg or they may attend USD-438 Skyline School in Pratt.
- College age students may enjoy Pratt Community College or Barclay College in Haviland.
Medical Services: Medical services are available in several of the neighboring communities.
Legal Description: These parcels of land totaling 395 acres are located in Sections 10, 11, 14 and 15 of Township 30S Range 16W, all in Kiowa County, Kansas.
Directions: The home is located at 28194 67th Road (also known as Sun City Road or River Road), Belvidere, Kansas. From US Highway 400 between the towns of Wellsford and Haviland turn south on the county highway 57th Avenue. Travel south 11 ½ miles and then turn east on 67th Road for 1 ½ miles to the Soldier Creek Ranch sign on the north side.
Belvidere, Kansas – 3 Miles to the west
Sun City, Kansas – 9 Miles to the east
Haviland, Kansas – 16 Miles to the north
Pratt, Kansas – 30 Miles to the northeast
Wichita, Kansas – 110 miles to the east
Kansas City, Kansas – 300 Miles to the northeast
Oklahoma, City, Oklahoma – 215 Miles to the southeast
Dallas, Texas – 432 Miles to the south
Denver, Colorado – 436 Miles to the northwest
For more information, pictures, videos and maps or to schedule a private tour of this amazing ranch, please reach out to me. Full contact information is listed below.